The Sault Ste. Marie and Area Drug Strategy Committee is dedicated to developing an environment to prevent, reduce, or eliminate problematic substance use and the related consequences.
Creating a safer and healthier community that optimizes the lives, abilities, and health of all individuals.
The committee will support the development, implementation, and evaluation of a community drug strategy that will address substance use within the pillars of prevention and education, treatment and recovery, justice and enforcement, and harm reduction.
GUIDING PRINCIPLES (Adapted from the Waterloo Region Integrated Drug Strategy)
Inclusion: We are inclusive to all populations, regardless of age, gender, culture, and income, & mental, cognitive, or physical abilities.
Collaboration: A cross-sectoral collaboration and community-based approach is needed to address substance use-related issues.
Equity: We recognize and will address the various personal, social, economic, and environmental factors that affect the health and well-being of our community members.
Locally Relevant: All projects and/or initiatives undertaken by the committee will take into consideration local context of our various communities.
Evidence-informed: All projects and/or initiatives will be informed by various forms of evidence and best practices, including scientific research, community-based practices, and the experiences of people who use (or have used) drugs.
- Maximizing the health and safety of the community while reducing substance misuse related injuries, chronic diseases, illness, and death.
- Providing oversight and strategic advice regarding the implementation of the drug strategy
- Fostering inter-sectoral relationships, collaboration, and decision-making.
- Contributing agency and network resources to address the priorities and recommendations in our report of May 2019.
- Develop a Peer Advisory Committee that will provide insight and advice regarding the implementation of Committee actions.
Drug Strategy Members
City of Sault Ste. Marie